Last year our big garden didn’t do very well. It was the first year we had it in and it was a wet year, because where we had decided to put it was so wet, we didn’t have great growing conditions. We knew we needed to do something to improve soil drainage if we wanted it to succeed this year.
Leighton built a frame to go around the entire garden, that allowed us to add about 12 inches of organic material, essentially making a huge raised garden bed. The garden is now roughly 20 feet x 20 feet.
Already this year we have been able to get into the big garden earlier and we have high hopes for a successful growing season. This is how we planted our garden.
After Leighton had built the frame around the garden, he tilled it a few times to move all the added ground around and even it out.
I started by using staples to hold string in place so I would have straight and even rows. I spaced the rows about 12 inches apart, just enough for me to walk down the middle. I then tied all the string in place so I could see the layout of the garden. I’ve decided to leave the string up to show where my rows are and to hopefully deter the cats and dog from running through it.
After I had the string rows up I used a small trowel to dig the trenches for the seeds.
Then watered the whole thing.
I ended up planting over a two-day period, half the garden one day and the other half the next. In all it took about 3 hours to do. I’m happy with the results and can hardly wait to start eating fresh vegetables again.
Happy gardening 🙂